[antidote] Re: Yet another change of heart: Powell Opposes Internet Phone Regulation

  • From: "David T. Blonder" <david_blonder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: antidote@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 17:20:13 -0800 (PST)

Yes, Comcast owns the FLyers and Sixers, as well as
part ownership of the Phillies and they put their QVC
interest to John Malone of Liberty Media a few months
ago.  Comcast this week just announced a joint venture
with all of the CHicago sports teams to launch a new
RSN next year...stealing the rights out from
Cablevision and Fox.  They also own Comcast SPortsNet
midatalantic, which is in the MD/DC/VA area, and the
Carolinas.

Fox Cable Networks, a subsidiary of News Corp. is the
largest owner of Regional Sports Networks (about
19)--well now 18, of which 7 it is in a partnership
with Cablevision (the cable co. that pulled Yes! (the
yankees) for over a year.  Fox owns significant
carriage rights for numerous sports teams in all
leagues.  In addition--it is reported that the FCC is
on the verge of granting approval to NewsCorp.'s
purchase of a controlling interest in DirecTV.  and
states that the FCC is tentatively planning to impose
conditions on the deal (i.e. no blackouts,
arbitrationover price increase, etc.).  Fox sold the
Dodgers recently as well.

Cox also has interests in sports teams.  I believe the
Padres and the New Orleans teams.

Thare are more, but that is a good smattering of MSO
ownership of either sports rights or sports teams.

--- Robert Lee <robertslee@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am not sports knowledgeable but doesn't Comcast
> own the Flyers and the
> Sixers and also the arena?  Need help here.  I know
> Comcast owned QVC.
>

> Robert Lee

=====
David T. Blonder