[antidote] Re: Yet another change of heart: Powell Opposes Internet Phone Regulation

  • From: "Robert Lee" <robertslee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <antidote@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 09:47:15 -0500

I wish I were as optimistic as you.

It does not take five years and three million words to say you are =
against
regulating VOIP.  I am a Powell watcher. The chances for detection by =
mere
mortals of what Powell intends to do falls off inversely proportional to =
the
number of words the blatherer utters.

He has no philosophical underpinnings (other than his own grandeur), he =
is
incompetent, has lost control of the FCC, and he is a world class
procrastinator who cannot do anything until ordered twice by a federal
court.

Powell will mollify the Bells.  The Bells were not there.  That tells =
you
something.  The deal has been cut.

In my opinion the issue of whether to regulate or not regulate VOIP is =
as
laughable as whether or not to tell an 800 pound gorilla where to sit.  =
How
the hell are you going to regulate it?  Sure, in the beginning you can
regulate it because there are nodes required to route calls to the PSTN.
But if VOIP is everything it is cracked up to be, only Granny Fricket =
will
be on the PSTN and who needs to call her?

So in the end, if my limited knowledge is not a dangerous thing, to =
regulate
VOIP will require the government to sniff every packet on the Internet =
and
somehow charge back to someone based on the contents.

The only solution is a Universal Service Charge on access. Because in =
the
end, at least for consumers who will use an unmanaged network, access =
will
be the only charge anyway.

By the way, I have used Vonage for six months and each month I get a =
tiny
email bill that thanks me for my business and tells me my credit card =
has
successfully been charged $38.00.  When the electricity goes out all =
calls
are automatically routed to my cell phone.   The issue of emergency is =
just
a polemical objection. We have three cell phones in the house.   Who
doesn't?  VOIP providers could offer free debit card cell phones with
charger cradles.  But even that is pandering.

Robert Lee