[analogorgans] Re: My 330 moving adventure

  • From: "Thomas W. Nelson" <twnelson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: analogorgans@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 21:04:20 -0400

Jack,

One of the important things I learned early on with the Rodgers analogs was to be sure that all the racks were in their 'correct' closed positions before turning on the power by putting all the tie-down hardware back in position to serve as locators even if I didn't tighten them down. As long as you don't have any wires or harnesses out of position, that should minimize the risk of an inter-rack short. I have to be especially careful on my 660 since the innermost rack (of 4) contains all the diode keying gates on 'daughtercards' that are perpendicular to the keyer bus 'motherboard', and the keyer harnesses can get crunched into the back of the main generator rack with evil results (ask me how I know...).

I believe the sforzando circuit on the 330 is a simple discrete bistable flip-flop like my 660, so you probably just blew one of the transistors or diodes in it. Should be a minor repair.

Bernie,

Early in my electronics career, I used to work with not only a 10 KW FM transmitter, but also a 10 KW AM and 5 MW UHF TV transmitter. It was a lot of fun playing the old fluorescent tube tricks with the elementary school student visitors, but I eventually decided that digital stuff was going to be more fun (and likely less hazardous). Interesting how I find tinkering with the older Rodgers analogs wonderfully relaxing now that do computer software and hardware for a living.

Tom Nelson
Milford, NH