[analogorgans] My 330 moving adventure

  • From: "John Webber" <jwebber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "analog Organs" <analogorgans@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 09:31:44 -0400

As some of you know, I was shopping for a cable to relocate an S-100 amp,
mounted internally, to my amp rack located in the basement and move my 330 to a
different location in the living room.  I needed about 20 feet.  When I opened
the racks on the 330, I discovered the amp was mounted next to the power supply
and already had a 10 foot cable attached.  I also had longer than needed S-100
cables connected to the rest of my amps.  So, I cut out a 10 foot section of
the old cable and spliced it into the short cable and behold, a new cable was
born.

When all was done and reconnected, I applied power to test the system after
carefully testing everything with my volt/ohm meter and soldering all the
connections. I was greeted with a loud hum and a sound like a sizzle.  What a
nightmare.  I actually think my heart stopped beating.  At that moment, I
believed I blew up my 330. I quickly removed power and rechecked everything.

To make a long story short, I must have place the 3 circuit racks too close
together when closing up the 330.  Something must have touched and grounded out
a circuit.  I only accidentally discovered this when I checked the status of
the fuse mounted on the back of the pre-amp output board.  I turned on the
power when the racks were open and the hum was absent.  After carefully closing
up the organ, each rack separately,  and applying power each time, I discovered
that all is well. However, my carelessness cost me my Sforzando setting.
Neither piston nor toe stud works.  I must have shorted out this circuit.  But
I can live without this feature.

During this move, I also purchased two Cerwin-Vega CLSC-215 speakers.  Awesome.
 They replaced two W-6 cabinets.  They have half the foot print and are much
more wife friendly.  Rated at 400 watts each, I could use just a little more
amp power, but for the living room, I can live with this also.  Hope you
enjoyed this (mis)adventure.

Jack Webber
Odenton MD