[amc]

  • From: Steve & Pat Hochstetler <srh2pjh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2002 17:05:55 -0600

What to do: make 10 gallons of chili (more or less)
When to do it: Wednesday at 6:30, you can come as early as 6:00.
Where to do it:  At  Steve and Pat's

If you need a map or directions, see http://srh2pjh.crosswinds.net

After mixing the chili we will need to let it simmer for a bit.   We will
have dinner prepared for anyone that can stay and eat with us while it
simmers.

Please bring ingredients to make 2 chili recipes of your choice.

Here is Carl's chili recipe

Ingredients:
1 medium onion
2 cloves garlic
4 oz can diced green peppers  (mild)
1 pound ground turkey
3 T chili powder (Eagle Brand or Adams)
1 1/2 T ground cumin
1 t black pepper
2 T of flour

Carl's Chili Conspiracy

Saute in a couple of tablespoons of cooking oil:
1 medium onion - chopped
2 cloves garlic - minced
in a large skillet (or large wok) until thoroughly cooked

Add one 4 oz. can of diced green chili peppers (mild for Relief Sale
Chili)
and 1 lb. ground turkey meat.
Cook on medium heat until meat is browned, stirring regularly

Add 2 - 3 tablespoons of chili powder (Eagle Brand and Adam's are the
best.
Don't use old or cheap chili powder and expect to have decent chili.)
1 1/2 tablespoon Cumin
1 teaspoon black pepper (as above... old pepper does not taste as good as

fresh)
Stir until everything is the same color, and continue cooking on medium
heat,
until it starts to get a little dry, then lower your heat a little.

Sprinkle 2 Tablespoons of flour over the whole mixture, cook over
medium-low
heat and stir until you have a stiff dry mixture, and uniform brown-red
color.

Add 1 cup of water, and stir thoroughly.  Add one 10 oz. can of beans or
home
cooked beans in same size.  Pinto beans or black beans are best.  Check
the
can to make sure it is only beans, water, and maybe salt.

Stir all together, and heat over medium heat until it starts simmer.
Check for taste.  Add salt in 1/2 teaspoon increments until the taste is
right.

Let it cool and pour into one quart containers to freeze and store.
Remove
from freezer about 2 days before and thaw in refrigerator or with several

quarts in an ice chest.

I usually made two of the above batches at the same time.  That's how big
our
pan was.

On relief sale day, heat the chili and add water as needed.  I recommend
about 1 cup per each recipe batch above.