[amc] Re: Next Sunday's (Nov 13) Adult Forum

  • From: "Heidi Xiong" <heidi.ratzlaff.xiong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 11:54:16 -0600

Hello Ray,
I want to clarify my suggestion for dividing into two groups for the initial
part of Sunday's discussions (like when we have groups of 20 or more).

The point (in my view) of the initial comment round, is less about getting
useful comments on the table and much more about engaging each person for the
upcoming active discussion by letting each individual have a chance to
formulate and practice expressing their main views (its like a warm up).

The most insightful comments then come in the active (back and forth)
discussion part of the Sunday hour when people are reacting to each other and
are triggered by new opinions.

So my goal would be 1) to reduce the time spent on, (but not the value of)
initial expressions and 2) to increase the time available for active (whole
group) discussion which is where the value of the discussion happens.
(It is painful to have to wait for over half an hour to comment back on what
someone said earlier.)

And I don't want to miss the active discussion portion of the other group,
therefore, I propose:

5 minutes - Introduction from the discussion leader (Ray) to the whole group
15 minutes - Sharing one's initial thoughts within a small group of 6-10
people, (2 minutes max. per person)
5 minutes - Coming back together as a whole group and briefly sumarizing the
main thoughts.
30 minutes - Active discussion among whole group
5 minutes - Final comments by group members and closing thoughts by the leader.

This format will possibly even improve participation in the initial expression
portion, because the group is temporarily more intimate in size.
I'd be glad to hear anyone else's suggestions on improving an already great
discussion hour.
Heidi