[amc] Re: FW: Lecture by Wayne Meeks

  • From: "Heidi Xiong" <heidi.ratzlaff.xiong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Austin Mennonite Church" <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 09:51:38 -0600

Steve,
Thank you so much for forwarding this! I certainly intend to attend this lecture.
If anyone else (regardless of location) wants to attend, I would be glad to drive a carpool so that we only have to pay for parking once.
Heidi

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Friesen" <Friesen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Thursday, November 10, 2005
3:30 pm in WAG 116  (Classics Department Lounge)

Professor Meeks is one of the leading scholars of New Testament and
Christian Origins over the past quarter century. He earned the M.Div.
degree from Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary and the PhD from Yale.
He taught at Indiana University for several years before returning to Yale
where taught in and chaired the Religious Studies Department for several
terms. He has served as President of the Society of Biblical Literature and
the Studiorum Novi Testamenti Societas (Society of New Testament Studies) in
Europe.

Most noted for his pioneering work on the social world of the early
Christians, Prof. Meeks has published or edited six books and numerous
articles. His books include The Man from Heaven in Johannine Sectarianism
(1972), The Writings of St. Paul (1977), The First Urban Christians: The
Social World of the Apostle Paul (1983; 2nd ed., 2000), The Origins of
Christian Morality (1993), and The Search for the First Christians:
Collected Essays (2002). He also served as series editor for the acclaimed
series The Early Christian Library and for the Harper-Collins Annotated
Study Bible. His lecture at UT will come in part out of the subject matter
of his forthcoming book entitled Christ is the Question, a penetrating
analysis of the ³constructedness² of Jesus in the New Testament, early
Christianity, western culture, and especially in the American religious
landscape. Below I attach several blurbs that will appear on the book
jacket.

The lecture is being co-sponsored by the Institute for the Study of
Antiquity & Christian Origins and the Religious Studies Program.   Please
join us for what I can assure you will be both an insightful and
entertaining lecture.    Wayne Meeks is truly  one of the greats in the
field of religious studies, and a great speaker, too.  Please join us.

--
Prof. L. Michael White   <lmwhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
R.N. Smith Endowed Chair in Classics and Religious Studies

Department of Classics Tel: 512-232-1438
1 University Station (C3400) Fax: 512-232-1439
The University of Texas at Austin
Austin, TX 78712-0308

Christ is the Question by Wayne A. Meeks

Cover Endorsements

In this explosive book Wayne Meeks shows the way beyond both liberal and
conservative readings of the New Testament. In probing strikes, Meeks
demolishes the premise they share in common, namely, that it is possible to
get to the brute fact of Jesus who thus provides the reader with a fully
secure truth. In prose at once electric, lucid, and economical, Meeks
disabuses the reader of this illusion. Neither the intent, nor the result,
smacks in the slightest of the jaded rationalist or Nietzschian poseur.
Jesus is the provocation who invites answers while rendering all of them
questionable. Jesus is the question whose provocation is interminable. This
book is an ³untimely² intervention that does what all truly important books
do; it entirely changes the conversation.

            > Notre Dame

Witty, perceptive, learned, and wise, this is not just another book about
the historical Jesus; it is a masterly reflection by a master scholar with
four decades of scholarship behind him. For Wayne Meeks, the question of
who Christ is cannot be resolved by post-enlightenment scientific historical
investigation (the advent of which he sketches with verve and insight). For
him, the historical Jesus is the Jesus who Omakes¹ history, as he has been
understood by his followers over the centuries and in our own day.

            > North Carolina, Chapel Hill

This is far more than just another book about Jesus. Writing with his
customary clarity and power, Meeks reviews long-term developments in western
theories about history, knowledge, hermeneutics, and human selfhood in order
to reconceptualize the task of describing Jesus historically. Meeks argues
that Jesus' identity is not a permanent historical artifact to be uncovered
by careful technique, but the outcome of transactions between him and those
who knew/know him. Because the transactions are still going on we are still
learning who Jesus is. Christ is the Question will engage and benefit both
church and academy > used and misused in the world today.

        > Presbyterian Seminary, and
                                            Coordinator, Louisville
Grawemeyer Award in Religion

------ End of Forwarded Message