[amayausers] auto-actifeed confusion

  • From: "Sandra Walker" <aece@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 15:31:36 -0500

Oh Great Ones, I need the wisdom of The Force.  Today I ran my first design
with the new software & used auto-actifeed for the first time, and I am
confused.
(Note to Aaron & Herb: this is the J McMahon design I had such trouble with a
few weeks ago.)
Made sure that my bobbin was tighter than I used to set it (with a "bounce" of
a little more than 1" as recommended in the manual). Adjusted presser foot
height to just above fabric surface, and began to sew.

Ran 2 test sewouts on smooth cotton knit fabric as close as I could get to the
actual pique shirt for this order. Used 2 pieces of 2 oz. cutaway backing.

The 1st sewout looked awful and I noticed the MT #s changing all over the
place, from 1 to 4 and back.  Was puzzled at the results, but thought maybe it
took awhile for the auto-actifeed to start working right.  Ran 2nd sewout,
which sewed perfectly with no TB's and looked beautiful. This time the MT
started at 2 and went as high as 8, usually ranging from 6 to 7.  I'm thinking
"boy, I love this auto-actifeed!"

Since that went so well, hooped up the actual pique shirt, using 2 pieces 2 oz,
cutaway & solvy on top.  Checked presser foot, and noticed that MT was back at
1 again.  Figured auto-actifeed knows more than me, so started to sew.  What a
mess!  Had 6 TB's and the sewout looks terrible.  MT varied from 1 to 4, but
mostly stayed at 2.
All the TB's were popping, which would seem to indicate MT is too low, right?

Checked my bobbin tension, and it was quite loose again, much looser than I had
set it originally.  Now this is my original bobbin case that came with my
machine.  I have 1,265,584 stitches on the machine.  I suddenly remember being
told in training that if your bobbin wouldn't hold tension it was time to
change to a new bobbin case.  So was that most likely the cause of all
this-that I needed a new bobbin case?  Is that why the MT varied so much during
sewing? I'm really hoping that's the reason, b/c that makes sense, & I can't
figure out what else it would be.

About how often should a bobbin case be replaced?  Should the bobbin tension
hold pretty steady once it's set?

I await your guidance Oh Great Ones.  Please keep my sewing from going over to
the Dark Side...As for the customer shirt, I've put a ton of Fray Check on it
and hope for the best...

Thank you, most learned Jedi (Sewing) Knights!
Sandra (Sky)Walker
A&E Custom Embroidery
936.588.1015   800.291.6953
We make your life more colorful...and your business more visible!