[amayausers] Re: What brand thread do you use?

  • From: "E. Orantes" <e3m@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 10:43:59 -0600

I've found that poplar opinion tells me that the three leaders in the thread
industry are Robison Anton, Madeira, and Isacord.  And not specifically in
that order.  And that may only be in the U.S.
        We use both Arc and Isacord in our shop.  Like most Amaya owners, we
started out with Arc.  Somewhere down the line we merged in Isacord so we
would have something to compare to.  Now we have a ton of both.  Not to
mention all the samples we've recieved through the years from shows and
such.
        I hear that Robison Anton is made in the USA and might be why they are a
little higher in price. Madeira has there tall spools that don't fit the
Amaya well.  We have some adapters that I made that work well.  Only have
about 8 spools of Madeira anyway - beautiful colors.  Met a lady who loves
"King Star" brand.  "Signature" brand is supposed to be kind of stretchy
which makes your fills look better.  There are a bunch of oriental and
middle eastern brands that are hard to keep up with - I don't speak the
language.  "Coats" brand is good.
        By far, I have found that just about everybody I meet is using polyester
for it's properties however a lot of folks have some rayon white since it's
really shiny on linen napkins and such and, white may not fade with washings
but maybe it could dull??
        Remember that you don't necessarily want a thread that is so strong that
you can't break it or is hard to break.  Sometimes the design is digitized
incorrectly and you would prefer that the thread breaks before the needle
does and quite possibly throw your machine out of time.  I saw a salesman at
an ISS show demonstrating how strong his Indian thread was.  Impressive if I
was going to catch fish with it.
        As a tech, I've comprised a list of about 30 or so reasons for thread
breaks and although "weak thread", "old thread" or "thread with dye rot" is
on the list, I can't say it is high up on the list and especially not a
problem for folks new to the industry when they buy there thread from a
reputable source.  Because the thread is relatively new - at least one would
think it's new.  It's a shame they don't put "born on dates" on the spools.
        They say black is weaker because it's possible that the black you have
was
once another color that didn't sell so they run that batch through the dye
process again as black and black always sells.  I hear thread companies
never have wasted thread.  They say white can be weaker due to the bleaching
process.  Now if only we can determine who "They" are...
Just a little on what I've heard about thread.
Ed

Ed & Maralien Orantes
E.M. Broidery
900 Terry Parkway, Ste. 200