[amayausers] Uncoated Hooks- 2005 Design Shop and OS

  • From: "E. Orantes" <e3m@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 10:56:55 -0600

Don't worry about the fast rotations after oiling the hook as opposed to the
three slower rotations on the older machines.  It's just a different way of
distributing the new oil and possibly getting rid of too much oil.  Just
keep your fingers out of there when she spins.  Kind of scared me a little
when I experienced it for the first time.

But if any of you out there are in fact running new 2005 machines/OS
software, make sure and verify that your software/machine knows it has an
uncoated rotary hook from the factory and not a coated hook.
        To check this (2005 Amaya OS software only)- go into "Settings",
"Timers",
and towards the bottom of the page, in the field that says "Hook Type", be
sure you select "uncoated".  When you do this it changes the oiling interval
from 600,000 to an appropriate 200,000 stitch timer.
        Coated Rotary Hooks have a bobbin basket that is black in color, just
like
ya' momma's Teflon coated frying pans.  The uncoated hooks have a bobbin
basket that is the same color as the rotary hook.  (The bobbin basket is
where you put the bobbin case ...that holds the bobbin.  The bobbin basket
is inside or a part of the Rotary Hook.)
        I just returned from training two different customers with two new
machines/software each and all of their machines were defaulted to coated
hooks.  Remember, on average, you should oil an uncoated rotary hook about
once or so a day.  The one drop of oil you deposit gets heated from
friction, slung from centrifugal force, and evaporates with time and/or dry
air.  If you run constantly, maybe one drop in the morning and one in the
middle of the sewing day.
Good luck.
Ed

Ed & Maralien Orantes