[amayausers] Re: Thread Feed

  • From: "E. Orantes" <e3m@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 12:18:24 -0500

Herb,
        I haven't had a great deal of experience with the "thread feed fine
tuning"
feature under the settings tab.  Although I think it's great to have it
there in case we need it, I feel it's one of those bells or whistles that
are not practical for our needs.  My thoughts on this is that a MT of 3 or 4
or whatever whole number you choose, usually does the trick simply because
the bobbin is capable of "taking up the slack" (figure of speech) in this
area.  The bobbin should be allowed to slip through the bobbin case so that
the bobbin will dispense as needed after the thread feed system has
delivered all it's going to deliver.  Meaning that if the thread feed system
was set too low, and there wasn't enough thread for that stitch, then the
bobbin will have a greater length.  If the MT is set too high, chances are
that you won't see any bobbin because it wasn't necessary as the excess
thread wrapped around to the back side of the garment where the bobbin
usually is.  If the thread feed is even higher than that, the exceptional
amount of excess thread has no where to go so it sits up on top and bottom
of the garment creating "Looping".
        Now there are a couple of things that can change what we think is
controlled by the Material Thickness.  Not only do you have the setting in
software (3,4,...) but if the bobbin tension is incorrect or simply dirty,
or the thread feed roller is dirty or has grooves, or if the thread path is
obstructed, or if the fabric is moving due to stretching or flagging, etc...
But I know you know all about these issues already.
        My question for you is that you say if you step up to a number 4 in MT,
then the sewing looks like crap.  How would you describe the crap in
question?  (If you know what I mean.)
        I would think that using that "fine tuning" feature would be used for
something you were going to run a lot of, and had all new and clean parts
(specifically thread feed rollers).  Features like this and the "settings by
color" option are not practical if you are only running, as we call them,
"onesies".  If I were going to run three of the same thing or more, I might
think about how to optimize my time by utilizing these features.  If you
wind up playing with the fine tuning thread feed feature, my only
recommendation to you is to practice to get an idea of what a change in
number will result on the garment and be sure to use new thread feed rollers
and have a clean bobbin case with correct bobbin tension.  I say this
because you don't want to have variations caused by other areas when you are
focusing on only one.
        Best of luck to you.
Ed

Ed & Maralien Orantes