[amayausers.com] Re: Colored Bobbin thread for an Amaya XT

  • From: theboards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 14:59:37 UT

This message was posted by The Embroidery Authority on AmayaUsers.com. PLEASE
DO NOT REPLY VIA EMAIL. Instead, respond to the thread on the WEBSITE by
clicking here:
http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/1028.html#000009

Allow me to clarify a little on this "Backlash Spring" topic,

Actually, it's referred to as an "Anti - Backlash Spring" and it can sometimes
be inside of a bobbin case when you purchase it or sometimes not, depending on
who you buy your bobbin cases from.
When you get a bobbin case from Melco, there is not such spring in their bobbin
cases as Melco doesn't recommend the use of one with prewound cardboard sided
bobbins.
So what is it, you ask?
As Ed said, it's a funny looking flat piece of thin steel that is in the shape
of a "C" or crescent that clips inside the back wall of the bobbin case.  I
guess you could say that is has somewhat of a slight bow in it so that the side
of this flat steel rubs against the side of the bobbin spool when sewing.
The purpose for this ANTI-Backlash spring is that when using, the metal bobbin
spools (common when winding your own bobbins), and today's high speed
embroidery/sewing machines, the metal bobbin spool will have the tendency to
continue spinning a little even after the machine has stopped sewing (known as
over spin or backlash) allowing the bobbin thread to now unwind around itself
backwards potentially causing bobbin troubles the next time you start to sew.
Hence, the Anti-backlash spring puts a small amount of pressure against the
side of the bobbin spool acting as a "brake" when the machine stops.
If you are going to be using pre-wound cardboard sided or sideless bobbins, it
is not recommended to use this spring as it can potentially shave the side of
the bobbin since it's made out of steel.
Here is a drawing of one being referred to as a "Check Spring" at the bottom of
this web page.  It's the image on the bottom left inside the red circle with
the red line crossed through it indicating "No Check Springs".

 https://www.bobbincentral.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=219

So, if your bobbin case doesn't have an Anti-Backlash spring inside of it, you
will have to purchase a bobbin case from a supplier who doesn't remove them
prior to selling them as Melco does.  I don't know of any such suppliers at
this time as I buy my bobbin cases from Melco.

Hoping this helps,

Ed Orantes
Melco Tech & Trainer