[access-uk] Re: Talking books: two questions and a reader's thoughts

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 12:36:44 -0000

Two quick comments folks.

My question about the fast forward and rewind would be nice to have an answer
to.  The lack of such a facility is hard to fathom, such a thing is so easy in
Winamp.

In the case of the book I am reading, the narration is fluent enough, but the
odd fluff could have been edited out.  Mark up, if that's what it is called, is
minimal, just chapters, and chapter anouncements almost blunder into the text
of the book.  Guess its the reader's style that really gets to me, but then
maybe he was giving his time freely, or for less than Equity rates, don't know
about that, and I'd guess the recording is at least 25 years old, probably
older.

One would hope that, given the investment now talked about at RNIB in
equipment, three studios, SADIE editing and all, that things are being done
better now.  That said, what seems to defeat RNIB - and just about everyone
else - is the people hours available for such tasks as editing and marking up
propperly.  Seems so much of the DAISY system's potential for navigation is
being sidelined by this lack of ongoing funding for employing more actual human
beings.  Still, dare say the same lack is obvious everywhere now.
Ray

Personal emails:  Email me at
mailto:ray-48@xxxxxxxx