[access-uk] Re: System Access as Standalone Screenreader - WAWAS:Re: Re: System Access

  • From: Chipmunks <chipmunks@xxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 11:28:26 +0200

That is very good and important news to know! I can hardly believe that there really will be a free screenreading solution offered. I know of a fairly decent low-vision magnifier that is free but something beyond Narrator has been long overdue for us totals.

there also is an open-source project going on that is supposedly working towards a free access solution for Windows Vista but i have not heard anything about this for quite a while.

Thanks very much for letting me know about this one! I'll keep my ears tuned for further announcements.

Cheers,

Doris

Doris - might be worth holding out for a little bit longer as a UK based
low-cost access solution company are launching a free screenreader in
July. Afraid I don't at this point in time know any more that that.

Adrian Higginbotham
Accessibility and inclusion adviser
British Educational Communications and Technology Agency - BECTA
Tel: Direct dial 024 7679 7333 - Internal extension #2287
Email: Adrian.Higginbotham@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Web: http://www.becta.org.uk/
BECTA, Millburn Hill Road, Science Park, Coventry, CV4 7JJ