[access-uk] Re: System Access as Standalone Screenreader - WAWAS:Re: Re: System Access

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 11:32:37 +0100

Well now Adrian and Steve, this is, of course a technology access list.
Still, and at the risk of starting a political discussion ,  I'd say you
might get what someone else is prepared to pay for, rather than getting
'what you pay for'.

Clearly, someone is footing the cost, or else giving their labour free and
gratis.  It just maybe that some very talented people have decided their
paid employment is remunerative enough for them to want to do 'free'
development, or even open source development.

I'm not exactly an ignoramus when it comes to economics and the realities of
running a business, but sometimes, just some times, people do want to
develop software for the fun of it and because its a rewarding challenge.
While I wouldn't hold my breath as to a real competitor to the expensive big
three or four screen readers, I wouldn't abandon all hope of such a thing
appearing.

The abstract at the RNIB URL I gave earlier does point out though the high
cost of supporting VI users, and where Choice Technology fits into this -
not to mention the big players in the voluntary sector I don't know.  to my
knowledge the vol sector hasn't exactly covered itself in glory in this
arena.

From Ray
I can be contacted off-list at:
mailto:ray-48@xxxxxxxx

  From: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf
 Of Adrian Higginbotham

  Doris - might be worth holding out for a little bit longer as a UK
 based  low-cost access solution company are launching a free
 screenreader in  July. Afraid I don't at this point in time know any
 more that that.

  Adrian Higginbotham
  Accessibility and inclusion adviser

  Oh, I'm not talking about the demo version. I have played around with
 the trial version here for a bit without ever activating a freedom box
 trial account and system access ran in 20-minute demo mode.

  I was asking about the full version of access like the version that
 comes on a usb stick. i have no intention or interst to suscribe to the
 freedombox network but am looking for a screen access solution that is
 portable and easy to use and works on all version of widnows.
  system access promises to do just that and I was wondering if one spent
 the US$395 or US$595 for the passkey or usb drive version, if system
 access would continue to work as a standlone screenreader and not just
 in demo mode. I don't care about upgrades at tthis point and of course
 if upgrades are not paid for, I wouldn't expect to get them just as I
 don't expect FS to pass out free full upgrades to their product. <g>

  It's just cool that System Access works without need for a wideo hook.
  If Microslop had done a decent job on Narrator, Narrator could be doing
 the same thing.

  Thanks much.

  Doris

 Message-----
 one of the reasons I'm probably not going to buy  >>>into the Freedom
 Box thing, nice as it is in many ways.

  >>>It seems to happen when I'm trying to do several things at a time
 and

  >>>memory is a bit short. But I've had freeze-ups with System Access
 >>>that are more serious, and that's a real put-=off, or even off-put.
  >>>
  >>>Vince
 Steve, but Frank was asking how to launch system  >>> access > when  >>>
 > starting windows.

 >>> the >>System  >>> >>Access properties, by pressing Caps Lock and F,
 or any of the  >>> >>System Access modifier keys with F.  That bit was
 covered in the  >>> >>review.

 +44(0)1438 742286,  >>> >>Fax:  +44(0)1438 759589  >>> >>mobile:
 +44(0)7956 334938,  >>> >>Email:  mailto:Steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Web site:

 20:57  >>> >>To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  >>> >>Subject: [access-uk] Re:
 System Access  >>> >>  >>> >>Frank, in Freedom Box go to preferences
 with alt P.  There you  >>> can >>choose  >>> >>when you want System
 Access to start.