[access-uk] Re: Suggestions for a good digital camera suitable for a totally blind person please?

  • From: Mark Magennis <Mark.magennis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 20:24:49 +0100

Jim,

I have a suggestion for you or any other blind person using a camera. I'm
sighted myself, but whenever I use my digital camera for photographing people,
animals or anything else that moves I set it to burst mode where you hold the
button down and it keeps taking pictures at a rate of about 3 a second until
you lift your finger off. I invariably find that out of 10 or so photos I end
up with 9 of them are not quite right but one that captures the moment
perfectly. Then I delete the rest. This might be a good strategy for you. Point
in the general direction, hold the button down and move the camera around
slightly. Probably at least one of the photos you get will be perfectly framed
and you can throw the rest away. That's the magic of digital photography for
me. It doesn't matter how many pictures you take cos you're not paying per shot.

Mark

On 12 Aug 2010, at 17:35, Jim O'Sullivan wrote:

> Thanks Damon
>
> I had a chance to take a look at a flip Mino in Dixons today.
>
> Nice and compact and the controls seemed very easy.
>
> They only had the more expensive higher spec model in stock but I have found
> the cheaper model online.
> I will keep researching for now but this certainly seems like a good option.
>
> Jim
>

> On 11/08/2010 16:25, Damon Rose wrote:
>> Can I suggest that a small video camera works better. Being as it's
>> capturing images all the time, there are bound to be some good shots you
>> can lift from it. Perhaps not as crisp quality as a digital camera
>> though. The FLIP is pretty good and accessible and has an arm that folds
>> out of it and plugs directly into your USB port.
>>
>> The onboard software isn't so hot but if you're hoping to get sighted
>> people to work with you on finding those good images it should be fine.
>> The onboard software allows you to take a frame from the video and save
>> it as a photo.
>>
>> They're about 80 quid now and very small. Lots of sound clues beeps and
>> double beeps as you record and stop recording. It's nice.

National Council for the Blind of Ireland (NCBI) is a company
limited by guarantee (registered in Ireland No. 26293) .
Our registered office is at Whitworth Road, Drumcondra, Dublin 9.
NCBI is also a registered Charity (chy4626).

represent the views of NCBI