[access-uk] Re: N70 and RNIB

  • From: "Eleanor Burke" <eleanorburke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 13:22:05 -0000

Dave I am saying this:

When I went to the RNIB the day before Sight Village in London, I made
enquiries about the models of phones which Talks could be put on.  2 lists were
given to me, the RNIB factsheet on mobile phones and a list from the HI-Tech
department.  At the desk in the Resource Centre a lady showed me a phone on
which RNIB had Talks to demonstrate wht Talks was like on a mobile phone.  This
phone was not for sale, simply demonstration.  I was then shown a mobile phone
by the same lady.  She said it had been purchased by a visually impaired person
and told me from what company.  The person found thay could not manage it when
it arrived with them and as they had paid six hundred pound for it which
included Talks, they were selling it for two hundred pounds.   RNIB was
obliging the person in being prepared to show the phone to people who seemed
interested in purchasing a mobile phone with Talks.  Now you have to read in to
that for yourself what role RNIB was taking in the selling of the phone.

I told the lady the following day that I would purchase the phone from the
individual for fifty pounds as I already had a copy of Talks and another copy
would cost me fifty pounds.  As it was an N70 I felt that if the phone went
wrong, I would have no guarantee or warantee so like anyone in a bargaining
position I decided I would make the lowest possible offer and work upwards from
there.

My offer was rejected, I am told, by the person so I made a much better offer.
There was no response and I was not surprised.  I then stated on this list that
I had seen the phone at RNIB etc etc and what I was writing was seen by a
member of RNIB staff.  I was contacted and we discussed issues round Talks etc,
nothing to do with the purchase of the phone.  This was on Saturday morning.  I
was very surprised sitting at home at my computer that I was telephoned by
RNIB.  The person was to get back to me on Monday but unfortunately has not
managed to do so.  I then decided to put another posting on this list about the
phone.  Can't remember now if it was late last night or first thing this
morning but immediately I had a response from RNIB about the phone.  Previous
e-mails to them re the phone had not been responded to.

I was informed this morning that RNIB were now no longer having any part in the
sale of the phone and would be contacting the individual concerned to let him
know this and rhey would be recommending to him that he conducted a private
sale.

Incidentially while some of you may think my offer was very low in the first
instance this was because I had been told that the phone was there at the RNIB
since March.  That would suggest to me that there had been very few offers and
at least I was making an offer.

We will now conclude the mobile phone episode as I think it has come to a
conclusion at RNIB also.  However, it is disappointing for the person who did
purchase the phone that he has not been able to obtain training either through
social services or simply through a list like this because I am sure all of you
would agree with me that Talks is fantastic now and enables us to do so much
more with our mobile phones.  I was very reticent about getting Talks myself
but once I did, I was won over immediately.  I hadn't a clue how to use it or
the phone and now thanks to this list and another list, I can use my phone very
well indeed and would not be without it, hence my desire to obtain a second one
to meet my needs.

Finally I have purchased a second phone, a new model and I am sure I will be
very pleased indeed with it.

Eleanor