[access-uk] Re: Document problem in office 2007

  • From: "Griffiths, Steve" <Steve.Griffiths@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 09:21:54 +0100

Caution - this is a long message.

Andy,

Here's my take on manipulating colours in Word 2007 with JAWS 9.0.552.
Apologies if I go into too much detail! Much of what I'll say works for
older versions of Word too.

Firstly, I have problems with the context menu method of selecting
colours as well, so I don't use it. I think it's intended for when you
have selected some text first, and then it works. If you haven't
selected any text but the cursor is within a word, then the colour
change applies to the whole word. But if you are inputting text and the
cursor is not within a word, so you try the context menu method to
change the colour before you type the text, the change often doesn't
seem to take effect.

My preferred method is to press Control + D to get to the Font dialogue.
This keystroke is a hangover from earlier versions of Word, where it
opens the Font dialogue on the Format menu. The keytips to get to the
same dialogue are Alt, H, FN.  Getting to the dialogue in this way seems
to work in all situations.

Secondly, the way you work the colour settings is the same whichever
method is used to get the Font dialogue on screen. You Tab to what JAWS
refers to as the "font colour (automatic) button" and press SpaceBar to
get a drop down array of colours. You can also use the shortcut Alt + C
to go to and open the array.

An array is something like the windows desktop, it's sort of a list but
with more than one column. So you can use UpArrow and DownArrow to move
through the items on the list, and LeftArrow and RightArrow to move from
one column to another.

The first and last items on the array (Automatic and More Colors) have
only one column. In between these two there are seven items each of
which has ten columns, giving a total of seventy colours. Each of the
colours is shown as a square in the relevant colour; there are no text
labels for the individual colours and JAWS reads the colour and gives an
RGB (red, green, blue) sequence of three numbers. For some of the
colours JAWS also says accent. For instance, if you DownArrow through to
the second line of the array, JAWS says "red accent 2 RGB (192 80 77)".
I suppose the word accent indicates this is a shade of red, and the RGB
give the specific colours that are used to get that shade.

There is some text on the array that labels the first six rows as "theme
colours" and the last row as "standard colours". JAWS doesn't read this
text out. My understanding is that you can create your own themes of
colours, but you can't alter the standard colours. I've never tried to
create my own themes.

The Automatic setting is the default. The colours on the first six rows
of the array are mainly given as "Accent". The colours on the seventh
row, the standard colours, are given as colours without accents. I would
guess this means they are the main colours of the spectrum.

So, once the array is open on the screen, you can UpArrow or DownArrow
to a line, then use RightArrow or LeftArrow to move through the colours
available on that line, and Enter to choose one and close the array. You
then have to Tab at least once to get off the font colour button before
you can press Enter to close the dialogue and keep the setting.

Thirdly, if you have altered the colours for some text and then use
Insert + 5 to find out what they are, JAWS may give a name that is
different to that given in the array. On my Windows XP Pro PC I've found
a file called colors.ini (note the American spelling) in C:\Documents
and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Freedom
Scientific\JAWS\9.0\SETTINGS\enu. This contains a list of RGB numbers
and associated names. I would have assumed that when JAWS encounters
those RGB colours, it substitutes the associated name. However, when I
choose blue from the array, for which JAWS gives the RGB numbers 0 112
192, and then use Insert + 5 on the text, JAWS says "dodger blue 3". And
when I look that up in the colors.ini file, it's got a different RGB
number! I've never got to the bottom of it, but as I've never made much
use of colours I've never pursued this with Freedom Scientific. I
suppose it makes more sense to give meaningful name to a colour than an
RGB number, but then why JAWS reads colours differently when on the font
colour array to when you use Insert + 5 within a document I can't
fathom.

Lastly, the More Colours item at the bottom of the font colour array
leads to a further dialogue which consists of two pages. The Standard
page is impossible to use with JAWS; it contains a larger array of
colours that the keyboard can access but JAWS doesn't read anything out
for any of them. On the Custom page, there are spin boxes for red, green
and blue which you can use to create your own, very specific colours.
Again, I've never bothered to try these out.

Steve