[access-uk] Re: Del Software

  • From: "Tristram Llewellyn" <tristram.llewellyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 11:04:26 +0100

I disabled a Dell Support Centre from starting on a Dell machine
yesterday without incident if that is of any help.  I agree with George
and Steve though that a certain degree of circumspection should be
applied to something that decribes itself as a "Driver Reset Tool".

Like others I can only sympathise with the dilemma that all this extra
stuff places the user in.  With a Sony machine of mine I took a far more
extreme (and a little costly) position of removing the Windows it came
with and getting a OEM of the same.  However you do not escape scott
free because you then find some things don't work and that special DVD
viewing software or whatever licensed specifically to the laptop is not
available for download but only through the recovery CD.  However in my
case once the essential drivers were reinstalled the equation seemed to
balance in favour of the new windows and lighter install.

Dell in the USA had an option where you could pay a little more and get
a PC without the bloatware.  I haven't brought anything from Dell
recently, perhaps they don't do that here.

Regards.

Tristram Llewellyn
Sight and Sound Technology
Technical Support
www.sightandsound.co.uk

Mail:
Tristram: tristram.llewellyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Technical: Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
General - info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Phone:
Support line: 0845 634 7979

Sight and Sound Technology Limited is a company registered in England
and Wales, with company number 1408275.

Sight and Sound Technology
Welton House North Wing
Summerhouse Road