[access-uk] Re: Asda online.

  • From: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 16:07:42 +0000

Léonie Watson wrote:

> Why provide two sites? There is absolutely no need, economically,
> socially, accessibly or otherwise. The technology to create a single,
> accessible and user friendly site has long been around. Sainsburys are a
> fair example of this.

I agree it's probably unnecessary. But I think the key thing is that
there should be genuinely equivalent access to all comers. If they want
to do that with 2 or 49 different versions, that's really their problem.
The main problems with "accessible versions" seem to arise when they are
not as accessible as the creators think they are, or when they are not
kept up to date, for which there is no excuse especially with a database
driven site like this one. Now if the accessible version is not in fact
accessible, or if there are disabilities that they don't in fact provide
for, that's a different and much more serious matter.

> Asda customer services don't appear to know much about the web, so
> I'm not sure how to send feedback to the right ears.

Have you tried either sending using the contact form at:

http://www.asda.co.uk/corp/customer_service/contact_us.html

Or alternatively, you might try writing them a snail-mail letter. (Their
postal address is on the same page.)

This thread revealed that it was hard to find out about the (allegedly)
accessible version of the site at http://www.asda.com/access.html .
Indeed, the homepage at

http://www.asda.co.uk/corp/home.html

doesn't seem to link to the accessible version at all, which is just
silly. If I were contacting ASDA, I would make my first concrete
suggestion that they should include a link to the accessible version as
one of the very first elements on the page. I would stress that for
those with mobility disabilities or who have poor eyesight but are not
blind, it absolutely must be an easy-to-find, visible link. Rewriting
their entire site might take a bit of expertise, time and money, but
sticking in an link to the accessible version should be inexpensive.

Without straying into hostility, I would include full details about your
less than satisfactory experience with customer services so far in your
email or letter.

If ASDA do not prove responsive, I would be tempted to take it up with
RNIB or whichever organization is most relevant to you.

Hope that helps.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis