[access-uk] Re: Announcement: heavy duty shoe/boot snow chains for VIs now available

  • From: "John Wilson" <j.wilson07@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 13:08:25 -0000

Hello John,

I would prefer you to transfer the money directly into my
bank account but if this poses a problem, you could send me
a cheque in the name of John Wilson for the £15.00.

I have copied below some general information about the snow
chains and their specifications. Please read this and let me
know if you want some.

I will then either send you my account details or postal
address.

******

 Thank you for your interest or order in respect of the
shoe/boot snow chains. Please read the below specification
details and if you still want to purchase some please
confirm the order. However, if the specifications do not
suit your needs,  please let me know so that I can cancel
your order ASAP. I will make the chains you want within a
day or two. Please ensure that you supply me  with your
postal address for the chains.

Snow Chain Specifications

Because of the fairly lightweight nature of most of the
commercial shoe/boot snow and ice chains available, I
decided to make myself some better quality, stronger and
more heavy duty snow and ice chains. The commercial
offerings, e.g. Yaktrax, Rud Bergstead, etc, all say that
you will damage their product if you use it on surfaces
other than ice and snow, such as concrete, strong paving and
tarmac. This means that if you wish to use your chains in
patchy ice/snow conditions and are not in a position to see
and keep to the ice with them, they will be found to be not
strong enough in construction to take the pounding and wear
and tear.

The snow chains I have made have much larger and thicker
welded steel links and the elasticised securing is made from
thicker elastic with an outer protective covering to stop
damage to the rubber causing splitting and snapping of the
rubber securing band. Typically, commercial chains have 6mm
thick rubber and 1mm to 1.5mm thick steel in their links.
The ones I have designed have 8mm black shock rubber cord
with a
strong outer synthetic material covering over it. The links
are welded, covered with silver coloured zinc  and 3mm
thick.

I can make these in any size required and they would then
fit that size plus one or two sizes below and above that
size.

Having made my own, I find that I have some materials left.
If anyone would like to order a pair, I will make some for
them at a charge of £15.00 including postage. This is
against the typical £20.00 to £30.00 you have to pay for the
known commercial chains on line generally and on Ebay.

Because these are heavy duty chains, they are best suited to
sensible, flat footwear with thick soles, for example,
strong Tuff shoes, walking boots, working boots, thick soled
wellington boots, etc. I would therefore recommend that you
only use them with such footwear. I have tried them with
ordinary shoes and they are wearable but the effect is
somewhat like walking on pebbles at the seaside--not unduely
terrible but a little uncomfortable.

If you are interested, just let me know with your size.

John Wilson.

********