[ZeroBrane Studio] Re: Winapi

  • From: Paul K <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "zerobrane@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <zerobrane@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 13:49:03 -0700

Hi Derek,

> But I get a hard crash from Lua (Windows Messagebox: "lua52.exe has stopped
> working") during execution. I am using the Lua 5.2 exe included in ZBS, and I
> am running it form a windows machine.

The crash you see is because winapi.dll that ships with ZBS is
compiled against Lua 5.1 API, which is incompatible with Lua 5.2 API.
Since you are using Lua 5.2, you need to use the version compiled for
Lua 5.2, as you did. Just don't replace the winapi.dll that comes with
ZBS, but instead put winapi.dll into your project folder.

I expect this to work, but if it doesn't (and ZBS still loads
bin/winapi.dll, which leads to a crash), let me know as I've been
considering moving winapi.dll to bin/clibs/ folder, which should
eliminate this issue.

> I would prefer to use the one included as I don't have to worry about
> installing it.

I realize that it's convenient to have libraries readily available,
but I'm trying to keep ZBS compact and am only including those
libraries that are either needed for its own work (like wxlua and
winapi) or libraries needed for debugging on Lua interpreters shipped
with ZBS (like luasocket). The former libraries are only available for
Lua 5.1 ABI and the latter are compiled for Lua 5.1, 5.2, and 5.3
versions (for all supported platforms). I'm also considering packaging
lpeg, but mostly because of its wide use and some of the modules that
depend on it that I plan to use in ZBS.

Paul.