[ZeroBrane Studio] Re: Feature request: Fibaro Lua support

  • From: "Erwin van Beem (Outlook.com)" <evanbeem@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <zerobrane@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 22:37:25 +0100

Hi Paul and Thijs,

I’m sorry to react a bit late to the discussion. There are a few things I need
to put straight, though:

First of all, the Fibaro indeed uses LUA 5.2. It differs not so much from the
Vera implementation. Vera uses “Luup”, Fibaro uses…well, “fibaro” as a prefix
to their device interface.

Second, the Fibaro uses LUA for almost everything: scenes and virtual devices.
When you take a graphic scene and want to edit it in more detail, fibaro
translates it to LUA for you. Messy, but still LUA.

Third, when you want to make a specific virtual device, JSON is often used
instead of LUA. I don’t have any experience with that, but if you want to
create a debug-plugin of sorts, I suppose you’ll end up using that.

Fourth, opposed to what Thijs claims, you can use a full fledged LUA
environment with functions and all and yes, you can pass parameters along,
together with results. Fibaro also uses global as well as local variables.

I can send some samples of quite intricate coding others have come up with, if
you’re interested.

I looked at the Vera implementation of ZeroBrane and it bears much resemblance
to the fibaro-interface I would like and also the command structure and
LUA-implementation are similar. At least from the looks of it. Don’t have a
Vera, so I can’t check that in detail.

For Fibaro, the debug-feature could probably be built as a plugin or virtual
device. Docs on both subjects, however, are nowhere to be found on the web. I
could try to ask the fibaro support guys if they have any.

Code checking is probably as straightforward as it would be for the Vera and
Luup.

Hope this clears a few things up. Thanks for the effort, so far!

Regards,

Erwin