[yunqa.de] Re: Loading and Saving In-Memory Databases

  • From: edoardo falzetti <edoardo.falzetti@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: yunqa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 19:19:26 +0200

First of all thanks for answers.
In my question i've been a little concise and didn't explain well.

At program start i already load in memory several million records which i keep
in customized arrays' structures customized in order to have the most possible
speed and the least use of memory (an in memory sql database would not be fast
enough and could'nt be optimized for memory usage, at least in the way i do)
It's mandatory to keep the data in memory and access it only by indexes (other
arrays) otherwise an application run would last hours.

After the first run and having analyzed the results the user could:
- a) save the results (if the simulation run is considered "rather good")
- b) change some "parameters" (in a broad sense)
- c)  execute a new run.
- d) analyze results

This process a-b-c-d could be repeated several times.

At the end the user compares the obtained results and may save in the local
sqlite3 db the best "parameters" and send to the corporate database the
results.

What i would like to keep in the "in memory" DBs (two DBs) is:
- the results (which at the end are not all saved and in case not in the local
DB)
- what i've been calling "parameters" which are some sql tables.

So, only the tables of the "parameters" may (or may not) be saved at program
close.

The "parameters" table are not large but  i fear my cache would be mostly used
by the results DB. (Question: do all the in  memory DB need to have the same
"cache size" ?)
Using for them an "in-memory" db could permit me to discard easily all the
unsatisfactory changes (i.e parameters' sets which didn't give good results).

I had already seen the BackUp demo but i was asking help because in the Sqlite
documentation "Using the SQLite Online Backup API" the procedures
"loadOrSaveDb" and "backupDb" are very similar but with differences not limited
to swapping source. As i do not hnow C i was fearing to risk to miss something
trying to convert such code by myself.

Tanks again

--
edoardo falzetti