[yunqa.de] Errors compiling demos with Delphi 4

  • From: "Tom Holden" <ve3meo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <yunqa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 10:47:27 -0500

I found my Delphi 4 CD and installed to my Windows Home Premium 64 bit AMD Turion notebook. Compiled a few Delphi 4 demos okay, once having moved them out of Program Files (x86) and also resolved error renaming .dro file on opening Delphi by setting Shared Repository path outside the Program folder.

Installed DISQLite3 and that went OK except for Install IDE Components. Delphi Install ran without error, thought I had to Compile also and that did not; but once Repository path changed, I see the Yunqa tab and 3 DISQLite components under it. Some basic DISQLite3 demos compile okay: Create_Table, Show_Table, Backup, RichEdit, World (although the resulting form exceeds the window and keyboard does not work), Changes, Execute_SQL, Performance_Test, Prepare_SQL, Profile, Get_Table, StringGrid, StringList, VirtualTable_StringList, Bind_Params, Bind_Params_Names, Blob_and_streams, Busy_Timeout, Creat_Function, Image_Bitmap, Integrity_Check, Log_Inserts, Master_Detail_Query, Math_Expr_Eval, Select_with_Bind.

Some error messages from those that do not compile:
[Fatal Error] DISQLite3_ClientDataSet_Grid_Form_Main.pas(23): File not found: 'Provider.dcu' (this is common to a few demos) [Error] DISQLite3_Create_Collation_2.dpr(37): Undeclared identifier: 'Utf8String' [Fatal Error] DISQLite3_Drive_Catalog_Form_Main.pas(33): File not found: 'Types.dcu' [Error] DISQLite3_Extension_Half.dpr(49): Undeclared identifier: 'PPAnsiChar' (common to a couple of demos)
[Fatal Error] DISQLite3ZLib.pas(31): File not found: 'ZLib.dcu'
[Fatal Error] DISQLite3_Buffered_Grid_Form_Main.pas(35): File not found: 'VirtualTrees.dcu' (I see that I need to download and install something from VirtualTreeView which gives the clue that Provider.dcu, Types.dcu and Zlib.dcu are either an add-on or from a later version of Delphi)
Incremental_Blob demo: compiled but app froze requiring forced shutdown.

Hope these are all simple problems and don't presage fundamental limits with Delphi 4 (yes, its 13 yrs old!).

Regards,

Tom

-----Original Message----- From: Delphi Inspiration
Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2011 1:59 AM
To: yunqa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [yunqa.de] Re: Support for load_extension() function in SQLiteSpy

On 08.03.2011 04:43, Tom Holden wrote:

Thank you, Ralf! Now I will have to explore becoming a Delphi
developer... Where there's will, there's a way ;-).

What version of Delphi would be needed (preferably cheap)?

DISQLite3 and extensions compile with any version of Delphi, starting
with Delphi 4 (see compilers in the top-left box of the DISQLite3
website at http://www.yunqa.de/delphi/doku.php/products/sqlite3/index.

So which to choose? Delphi 7 is known for its stability, Delphi 2007 is
the latest non-Unicode version. Both are outdated today, but still
popular. The current Delphi is now called Delphi XE. It features
defaults all strings to Unicode, at the cost of slightly larger binaries.

However, you do not need a Unicode Delphi to handle Unicode text with
DISQLite3, old WideStrings work just as well.

As said, any version starting with Delphi 4 will do, so pick whatever
you can get your hands on.

Good luck,