[yunqa.de] Re: Brief licensing question

  • From: Delphi Inspiration <delphi@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: yunqa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 12:53:34 +0100

Marek Jedlinski wrote:

>Just a brief question about licensing. From descriptions of the
>various products I gather that:

Oops, where did you gather this from? Could you please let me know so I can
rewrite the relevant paragraphs?

>- DIHTMLParser relies on or requires DIUnicode

No, DIHtmlParser does not rely on DIUnicode. It is true that DIHtmlParser
includes parts of DIUnicode, but all necessary DIUnicode files are part of the
DIHtmlParser packages. There is no need to download or install DIUnicode to run
DIHtmlParser.

>- DIFileFinder relies on or requires DIRegEx

The same applies to DIFileFinder and DIRegEx: DIFileFinder does not rely on
DIRegEx. It is true that DIFileFinder includes parts of DIRegEx, but all
necessary DIRegEx files are part of the DIFileFinder packages. There is no need
to download or install DIRegEx to run DIFileFinder.

>So my question is, if I purchase the source-code version of
>DIHTMLParser, will it also include the DIUnicode source code? And
>similarly, does the purchase of DIFileFinder include the source code
>edition of DIRegEx?

A clear "Yes!" for both questions. All required files are included in
DIHtmlParser and DIFileFinder. This is true for all DI products, Demo,
Commercial, and Souce editions alike.

>And a separate thing - I've been looking for a method to detect UTF-8
>files/streams even when they do not contain the byte order mark. (I'm
>aware that a stream is indistinguishable from ascii if it only
>contains codepoints < 127, but that's not at issue. I need the
>detection to work when the stream contains characters with higher
>values). Does DIUnicode (or another DI product) contain such a
>function? I hoped to find something in JCL or the TNT components, but
>all detection routines there require the BOM to be present.

BOM detection is also available in DIHtmlParser / DIUnicode via the
TDIUnicodeReader.ReadBOM method.

>I couldn't find anything in the Help file for DIUnicode trial version, but
>maybe I've missed something.

The closest such thing I ever came accross was various statistical algorithms
used by the Firebird webbrowser. From reading the code I realized that they
only allowed an approximate, but never a certain categorization of UTF-8 and
other encodings. To rule out uncertainties, I decided not to include such an
algorithm as part of DIUnicode / DIHtmlParser.