[yunqa.de] AutoIt Importer

  • From: complex junk <complexjunk+wikitaxi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: yunqa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 12:58:34 -0500

I routinely use WikiTaxi as an offline backup for my personal wiki,
and I wanted to share my solution for those who export directly from
their MediaWiki export page. It's an AutoIT script that requires
7-zip. Once compiled, it lets you drag and drop (or run standalone to
choose) a file, automatically compresses file to bz2 with 7-zip, runs
the Taxi Importer and types in the appropriate file names, launches
WikiTaxi and navigates to the main page.

I put it on PasteBin with commented code: http://pastebin.com/Sxx5xhPX
It is for anyone to use or modify freely. You need this to compile it:
http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/index.shtml

Towards the end, it assumes you have a small wiki when it launches the
newly converted WikiTaxi file, you may want to adjust if you plan on
using this for very large wikis (remove section launching WikiTaxi
after import).

This is mainly a workaround because I feel there are missing features
in WikiTaxi:
1. You cannot directly import .xml, you must first compress it to a ".xml.bz2"
2. There are no command line arguments for the importer, manual
interaction is required.
3. WikiTaxi picks a pseudo-random page on launch, you cannot specify
(via command line arguments? or .ini?) to go to a specific page (i.e.
Main Page). For my exports, it picks the same page 95% of the time. On
Wikipedia dumps, it picks a random page, but NSFW content is picked
sometimes.

Maybe my workaround is unnecessary, I would like to know if these
missing features are actually in WikiTaxi but not documented. Maybe
this will inspire new features, but if not, this workaround works very
fast for me and I hope it helps others.

Enjoy!