[yshavurah] MINUTES FROM SC MEETING 10-3-04

  • From: "Steve Green" <steveg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "listserv" <yshavurah@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 06:10:20 -0400

10-3-04 Steering Committee Meeting Minutes:
Toni, Jay, Steve, Elliot and Nance were present initially and were
joined by Len, Suzanne and Cheryl.

Review of Hebrew teaching program.

The SC had a favorable impression of the multi-level program structure
and of Rina as a teacher. It was discussed that the Torah creates
different needs: Storage, repair, insurance, Torah readers etc. Toni
crystallized the discussion as "how to stay balanced on the edge of
having enough structure but still open and relaxed."

Eventually the following was agreed:

*       The cost that Rina had requested was not prohibitive.
*       Initial round of classes would be held for 8 weeks.
*       The Havurah would put an add in the YS News to announce the
hebrew class and open it to non-havurah members. (STEVE)
*       The cost for the class would be $80 per person and $150 for a
family of 2 or more people for members ($100 per person and $175 for
non-members)
*       If necessary, the Havurah would make up the difference between
the sum of tuition and the cost of the teacher.
*       The class scheduled for Oct. 10th would be skipped to allow new
people to join and the series of 8 classes would begin (again) on the
17th.
*       A location to accommodate 15 people would be found. The senior
center and the Bryan center were suggested (LEN).

Dues:

The current dues structure was discussed. Based on anticipated future
financial obligations it was agreed that dues would be raised from $18
(the numerical equivalent in Hebrew for Chai or life) to $36 per year
(it is a common Jewish practice to pledge funds in multiple of 18). It
was also agreed that we would request each member to consider
contributing an additional $18 in support of the Torah (for the ark, for
repair and ongoing maintenance)and another $18 for educational programs
- for a suggested contribution of $72 per person.

Torah

The proposed agreement with Covenant House was discussed. The major
topic was the commitment to supporting the spiritual life at Covenant
House. The strongest reaction was to the word "endeavor" which many
people felt was not really obligating us to much of anything except a
lingering feeling of guilt. Many people felt that the way in which the
Havurah community was being obligated was not well suited to our loose
organizational structure. Eventually the following was agreed:

*       A Havurah policy will be written which defines how we will
support the spiritual life at Covenant House and will include the
following elements (STEVE):

1.      A request will be made at each annual meeting for volunteers to
contribute to the spiritual life at Covenant House in the ways in which
they are best suited.
2.      The Steering Committee will guarantee that at least 1 event will
be held at Covenant House each year.
3.      We will request that someone at Covenent House inform us of
people in particular need of Healing so we can include them in our
Mishaberach prayer list.

*       The Havurah would accept the Torah and all of the clauses in the
agreement as written.

Upcoming Services on October 16th: Nance to lead with Abi.

Annual payment to Antioch: Toni

Next Meeting...Tuesday October 26th at 7:00 PM at Steve's House