[yshavurah] Judaism at the Pentagon

  • From: Adamsmicki@xxxxxxx
  • To: yshavurah@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 14:28:19 EDT

This is from a good friend of mine, a convert to Judaism.   She's a mover and
shaker at the Pentagon, and I thought you might enjoy  reading this.  Her
name is, of all things, Colleeen (hardly a Jewish  name).  She may have taken
the
picture, as she is not in it.

Micki

Never in the Pentagon history has there been  celebration of a Jewish
festival.  Christmas trees, manger scenes, Edes,  etc., but no Passover or
other Jewish observance.  After years of not  even having a rabbi (in all
fairness, it wasn't for want of trying), the  Chief DoD chaplain finally told
the Air Force to cough up a body and send one  over.  He is Chaplain Coen.
His first day on the job, I was there and he  said he would like to set up a
sukkah in Ground Zero, the Pentagon  courtyard.  I offered to try to track
one down and, with my first phone  call, found a local congregation that was
excited to donate one.   Richard and I shopped for decorations to add to
pictures drawn by Chaplain  Coen's children and it was all set up on Monday.
The dedication was  incredible.  The sound of the shofar (ram's horn) echoed
off the  Pentagon walls.  It definitely ranks as one of those things I never
ever  dreamed I'd be doing.  I've attached a  picture

-- Type: image/jpeg
-- File: sukkah.jpg