[yshavurah] Fwd: [ShalomCenterJ] CALLING JEWISH LEADERSHIP TO SPEAK OUT VS WAR

  • From: Clevineys@xxxxxxx
  • To: yshavurah@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 07:40:56 -0500

Hello, All--
I wondered what you thought of this?
Cheryl

To: ShalomCenterJ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "awaskow18 <Awaskow@xxxxxxx>" <Awaskow@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 19:22:29 -0000
Subject: [ShalomCenterJ] CALLING JEWISH LEADERSHIP TO SPEAK OUT VS WAR

Dear Chevra,

The following statement is self-explanatory. We intend to publish it=20
in as many Jewish papers as possible in time for Dr Martin Luther=20
King's Birthday weekend, January 17-20.=20

Time is short!! =96 So Please write < Shalomctr@xxxxxxx > right away to=20
sign on and tell us how much is the special gift you are sending to=20
help publish this.=20

 Then go to < www.shalomctr.org > to send this gift by secure credit=20
card =96 or use the coupon below.=20

(Your gift is tax-deductible. If you can give $180 or a great deal=20
more, please do. Otherwise, that money may pay for a disastrous,=20
reckless war.)

The statement follows:

Shalom, Arthur

We say to the American Jewish leadership: SPEAK OUT.=20

One generation ago, Dr. Martin Luther King and Rabbi Abraham Joshua=20
Heschel said, "A time comes when silence is betrayal. That time has=20
come for us in relation to Vietnam."=20

 Today that time has come again. We ourselves must speak out, and we=20
call on our Jewish leaders to speak out:  Speak out against the march=20
to a US war against Iraq.

We know that Iraq is not Vietnam. Iraq must not be allowed to pour=20
death upon the world. But we also know that this war would endanger=20
America and Israel and the entire world much more than Vietnam did,=20
and  that peaceful means are already at work toward peaceful ends.

Dr. King, April 4, 1967, precisely one year before he was murdered:

"I speak for the poor of America who are paying the double price of=20
smashed hopes at home, and death and corruption in Vietnam. I speak as=20
a citizen of the world, for the world as it stands aghast at the path=20
we have taken. I speak as an American to the leaders of my own nation.=20
The great initiative in this war is ours. The initiative to stop it=20
must be ours. =20
=20
"A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on=20
military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching=20
spiritual death. "

And Rabbi Heschel said:  "For many years I lived by the conviction=20
that my destiny is to serve in the realm of privacy=85 [But] in regard=20
to cruelties committed in the name of a free society, some are guilty,=20
while all are responsible. I did not feel guilty as an individual=20
American for the bloodshed in Vietnam, but I felt deeply responsible.=20
And so I decided to change my mode of living and to become active in=20
the cause of peace in Vietnam."

Most of the American Jewish leadership has failed to speak out=20
vigorously against the march to war,  even though the war =96

will kill tens or hundreds of thousands of Iraqi civilians =96 mainly=20
children =96 and  an unknowable number of US troops and even civilians=20
who may become targets of last-ditch terrorist attacks;

 will (like the Gulf War) leave "depleted uranium" bombs in Iraq to=20
create terrible deformities among children for a hundred generations;

will endanger Israel =96 will bring on, as US intelligence experts have=20
confirmed, the sharpest danger of a last-ditch chemical/ biological=20
attack upon the people  of Israel;

will take hundreds of billions of dollars from America's own people =96
from  health care for our seniors, schools for our children, healing=20
for the earth;

will increase the unaccountable power of the oil companies and regimes=20
that have provided money to both the Bush Administration and the Al=20
Qaeda terrorists, that have corrupted American politics and robbed=20
American stockholders, that poison the air and befoul the seas and=20
scorch the earth.

Most of the Jewish leadership failed to speak out when the US=20
government rounded up thousands of Middle Eastern immigrants living in=20
California, imprisoned hundreds, including many Persian Muslims and=20
Jews who had fled Iran as victims of political and religious=20
persecution, in filthy cells for days and threatened many with=20
deportation to the regimes they fled.

Most of them failed to speak out when the Washington Post (front page,=20
December 26) reported in detail on the torture of US prisoners held=20
overseas by the CIA. =20

Their silence may come not  from personal unwillingness, but feeling=20
caught by pressures to be quiet, as indeed both Dr. King and Rabbi=20
Heschel faced 35 years ago. King and Heschel spoke anyway. Today we=20
can firmly, gently, seriously urge our leaders to do the same.=20

So let us speak out:=20

For continuing vigorous steps of unimpeded inspection to free the=20
world from fear of Iraqi weaponry.=20

For a Marshall Plan of directly providing food and medicine to free=20
Iraqi children from disease and malnutrition;  insisting that the=20
Iraqi leadership permit this peaceful, humanitarian aid under direct=20
international supervision.=20

For healing the huge public  health failures in America (our best=20
defense against "conventional" disease as well as the danger of=20
bioterrorism).

For transferring one hundred billion dollars at once from the super-
budget for this war, to meeting our needs at home.

For strengthening instead of slashing civil liberties, for halting the=20
Bush Big Brother programs that will shatter our rights and privacy,=20
for restoring open government where the Bush Administration has sealed=20
the public out.=20

AGAINST worsening this crisis and endangering us all by a reckless,=20
destructive attack upon Iraq.

And we ask our Jewish leadership to speak out. Please call one of=20
these people--

Rabbi Jerome Epstein, executive vice-president, United Synagogue of=20
Conservative Judaism , at 212/533-7800

Rabbi Eric Yoffie, president of the Union of American Hebrew=20
Congregations (Reform) 212/ 650-4000

Hannah Rosenthal, executive director of the Jewish Council for Public=20
Affairs, 212/684-6950.=20

And also call your own rabbi or the director of your Hillel or your=20
Jewish Community Center or JCRC -- =20

Remind them =96 politely, with concern rather than anger -- The time has=20
come when silence is betrayal.

To paraphrase the words of the prophet Isaiah (62:1):

For Zion's sake, I will not hold my tongue,
For the children's sake I will not stand in silence,
For America's sake I will not hold back my wailing,
Until the vindication of humanity goes forth as brightness,
And healing for the earth as a shining torch.

Please help us speak out again and again =96
By filling out and mailing this coupon. Your gift is tax-deductible.

To: The Shalom Center, 6711 Lincoln Drive, Philadelphia PA 19119.

I am glad to join in speaking out against the march to a US war=20
against Iraq.
I enclose a (tax-deductible) contribution to help us all speak out=20
more:

___ $1800; ___ $720; ___ $360; ___ $180; __ $72; ___ $36; ___ Other.=20

Name/s  _____________________________________________________
Address ____________________________________________________
Email _______________________________________

Please feel free to invite others who want to explore the connections among=20=
Judaism, Jewish peoplehood, and the healing of the world to subscribe to thi=
s list. They can do so by writing: =20
ShalomCenterJ-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This thought-letter flows from the work of The Shalom Center,
a  North American network committed to draw on Jewish wisdom, old and=20
new, and to learn from other wisdom traditions and communities, in order to=20=
pursue peace, justice, and the healing of the earth.  For more information a=
bout The Shalom Center, go to http://www.shalomctr.org. See also http://www.=
FreeOurTime.org.

The Shalom Center is a division of ALEPH:  Alliance for Jewish Renewal (see=20=
http://www.aleph.org). The views expressed in the thought-letter above may n=
ot be the views of ALEPH as a whole.=20

Your comments and your help are important to us. To donate, you can click on=
=20
http://www.shalomctr.org/donate.html , or=20
if you prefer to send a check, please print out the coupon below and=20
send it to the address below.

TO:  Shalom Center, 6711 Lincoln Drive, Philadelphia, PA  19119

_____ Please enroll me as a Rodef/et Shalom, a Seeker of Peace. I=20
enclose (as my tax-deductible gift) --

    ___ $ 720*; __ $360*;  __ $180;*  __ $72;   _____ Other

* Send me an inscribed copy of Godwrestling -- Round 2*).  Please ask=20
Arthur to inscribe it as follows:

=20