Re: [yoshimi-user] Reunion Foundation Work

  • From: Jonathan Brickman <jeb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: yoshimi-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 11:47:23 -0500

I am the other person (I think it's just Jeremy and myself) currently
helping admin on the Yoshimi project. I haven't coded in C for years, but I
do still read code of all kinds and can help debug. I am also finally up to
speed in the recent Yoshimi history :-) Anyhow, in deciding how to proceed,
it seems to me that there are three big questions to answer first:

1. At the present time, are there things which Zyn does better than
Yoshimi, and what are those things?
2. At the present time, are there things which Yoshimi does better than
Zyn, and what are those things?
3. At the present time, are there ways in which only one of the two can
serve the needs of a musician, and what are those ways?

I would personally like to see one merged code base. I know Cal wanted that
for a long time, and he hesitated long before doing anything else. But we
cannot merge and be doing a very good thing, unless we can make a list of
what is best of both, and unless we can make it so that the new whole can
serve the needs of all users.

#3 is perhaps the most crucial, if the question is not empty in its
referent. At worst, it could be very much like saying we'll merge the
Roland Juno-D project with the Yamaha MO8 project: we would have to have a
machine with a big toggle somewhere, "Juno-D mode" on one side and "MO8"
mode on the other. That could make it generally a bad idea to try a merge.
We need the ultra-power-users to speak up on this one!

J.E.B.

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 9:40 AM, Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

On 08/23/2011 11:35 PM, Will J Godfrey wrote:
On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 12:45:46 -0400
Mark McCurry <mark.d.mccurry@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Looking at the reunion, there are several options:
1) One code base is used, the other discarded
2) One history is superimposed on the other, creating a discontinuity
3) Both have changesets applied to converge
...) others?

I think 3 is the best, as it should allow for bugs to be avoided (on
both sides)
and it is much more neutral than either of the other options.

3 looks like the most practical option to me

<snip>

As Jeremy appears to be the current maintainer of yoshimi:
- Do you have an opinion on importing convergence commits?
- Do you have a preference on where you may look over the commits?
(github, personal server, direct to a yoshimi-git branch, ...)

--Mark

I think Jeremy is still away at the moment (holiday?)

Back :)
I'm the SF project admin so not really the maintainer (I can't code for
example) but I do like to keep the overview and if possible a bit of
control. Since I didn't go through some kind of democratic process when
it comes to become project admin the control part is debatable of course
;) Reading all the mail right now.

Best,

Jeremy