Re: [yoshimi-user] Restarting the Yosh/Zyn Merge

  • From: Mark McCurry <mark.d.mccurry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: yoshimi-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 09:51:15 -0500

One rather large set of differences is in saving of instruments, states, and
parameters.
Load both and compare menus, it becomes a bit clearer.

The differences I see from looking at the menu and some of the source
is that yoshimi state is the normal XML tree uncompressed and
including a few entries about the state of the user interface (eg
selected bank).
It also appears that at least parts of the xml tree is kept resident
in memory, which might not be a bad idea.
Otherwise, the menu entries are just shuffled around.
I'll try to take a look into how this internal hierarchy differs from zyn.

Never used state saving in either (and for me) it has no point. Yoshimi
parameter saving is not compatible with zyn, but it will correctly load zyn
parameter files. I can't remember what the change was or why Cal made it.
Instrument files are identical.

Well that is something that I can look into.
I am guessing that an XML branch or two were renamed, which is causing
the compatibility issues.
Looking at the diffs the biggest thing is that yoshimi stores defaults
of unused parameters.
This results in a 3M xml (yoshimi) file vs a 20k file (zyn) (both uncompressed).
Zyn should ignore all of the unused information, so I'll see if I can
localize that issue.

I'm not overly fussed about GUI changes, although I think that in the main
yoshimi is slightly more intuitive.

I would like to not get caught up with mainly UI changes for the
simple facts that I am a rubbish UI designer and zyn is having some
fairly invasive changes to its UI at the moment.

http://zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net/zynaddsubfx-ntk.png

--Mark