Re: [yoshimi-user] Crazy or what?

  • From: Will Godfrey <willgodfrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: yoshimi-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2014 22:40:19 +0000

OK, some revision.

We have one for an one against the Virtual keyboard entry in the Instrument
menu. That's not really enough to make a decision on, and I'm not going to do
the "I'm in charge" think and force the issue.

Nobody seems to have used MIDI On (or been interested in it), although it's been
suggested that it allows a 'graceful' shutdown of a part. In the thick of a
muti-part composition where you can just do normal Note Offs? Nope, I'm really
not buying that so it's going, unless anyone has strenuous objections. With
this gone, I can like the other controls up more tidily.

I've also noticed that in the main window, middle clicking on the part name
brings up the Edit window... in exactly the same way as the Edit button
alongside. Therefore, unless there are any objections I'll remove the the part
name one, as that is the least obvious and I'm never keen on too many options
for a singe control. The left and right button operations are far more sensible.

I had already thought of Oli's idea of using the edit button in the panel
window to bring up the part edit window, but so far have failed to get it to do
so - there's still a lot I find difficult with FLTK. It should still select
that part (it would have to for real editing) - as does clicking in the part
name (brings up the Voice list) or enabling the part.

To make the panel look a bit tidier and take up fractionally less space I'm
thinking of moving 'Refresh' and 'Close' to a thin strip under parts 9-16

The console window now does something useful if it's enabled at compile time
(the default), but I think I'd like to see if I can grey out the entry if it's
not been enabled.

Well now,
Today was rather astonishing for South East England in November! I was out most
of the day enjoying walking in the countryside, almost the entire day, in
bright sunshine, and shirtsleeves! As well as enjoying what was around me, I
find this to be good 'thinking time' hence the above, and some more ideas I'll
mention later.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk