[yoshimi] Re: I would like to contribute to Yoshimi development

  • From: Will Godfrey <willgodfrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: yoshimi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2015 22:44:27 +0000

On Thu, 24 Dec 2015 17:48:51 +0100
Csaba Erdei <csaba.erdei@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dear All,

I am an IT professional and hobby musician and I am interested in
Yoshimi development. I would be happy to contribute to the MIDI learn
feature and improving copy/paste presets. Do you know that someone
started working on them already? Do you have any concept, idea or
requirement about these?

Thanks and Regards,

Csaba Erdei

Hi... again :)

From a usability point of view I much prefer the appearance of the first
midi learn attempt - I've placed it in a separate branch: 1.0-midi-learn

However it is well out of date, and also had some bad implementation issues.

As well as clear indication of what has been set, it gives you the opportunity
to change the min/max values, and even make min > max, thus reversing the
effect of the control.

It also allows you the have one CC attached to several actual controls.

Instead of MusicIO, the pickup point should be in SynthEngine.cpp ->
SynthEngine::SetController(

This is for several reasons. The first is that it then can't interfere with
root/bank/program changes. Also, at this point pitch wheel, Channel and key
pressure have all been converted to accessible CCs.

Finally, it will be able to pick up vector controls and re-route them to other
effects - this will (eventually) massively expand the vector control features!

Copy and paste is far more sophisticated than a lot of people realise, although
I agree that the interface is not very friendly. I don't think people realise
that when pasting, you only get shown the the presets that are relevant to that
part of the synth. I rather think that 'presets' is the wrong word here, as
people are likely to confuse it with the effects presets.

The way it works is to store a 'copy' as an XML stub, which can either be pasted
elsewhere or stored to file with an appropriate header. When you pick one from
file it simply reverses the process.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk