Re: Was OT--Win7 and disk partitions; now using Linux

  • From: "Robert Holmgren" <holmgren@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 13:43:54 -0400

** Reply to message from Flash <flash@xxxxxxxxx> on Fri, 19 Mar
2010 06:44:03 +0100

> I can just about get by with 4 computers, a router and a switch (no
> wireless, for security reasons), on, under, and near my desks.

Enumeration here is a challenge.  Suffice to say, the purr of
many little fans in this room.  Next door, same.  Wireless, yes
-- but on a separate WAN IP of its own and a big AES encryption
hash (as you say, for security reasons).  Personally, I loath
wireless.  Incessant lost packets, no matter what.  But many
visitors just expect it, so...  (The only good wireless device
is a mobile phone.  Great for tethering [acting as a
near-broadband access point and forwarding the Internet] to your
laptop when you travel.)

Practically speaking, I actually work on three of the boxes; the
rest mainly serve or do SQL for servers.  Another is tracing,
profiling, and debugging.  One does rsync backups with remote
servers in Texas.  Two are poised to swap if anything breaks.
Two are garbage (and in fact, now is the time... gone!  Bye bye
Tiger 10.4 and Debian).  Maintaining this stuff is a nuisance.
But most just run, hands-off, during long absences.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxxxx