Portable.PM under Windows 7 [was "DosBox and Window Size"]

  • From: Peter Goldberger <peter.goldberger@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 15:07:50 -0400

I, too, have just acquired a new ThinkPad T420i burdened with Windows 7 as its operating system. If not in DosBox, Carl, then how would you recommend best running Xy4 and/or portable.PM on that machine?

 - Peter Goldberger, Ardmore, PA

On 7/15/2012 1:15 AM, FreeLists Mailing List Manager wrote:
xywrite Digest  Sun, 15 Jul 2012        Volume: 04  Issue: 073

In This Issue:
                Re: DosBox and Window size

From: Carl Distefano <cld@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: DosBox and Window size
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 01:12:00 -0400

Reply to note from Jon P <xywrite4@xxxxxxxxx> Sat, 14 Jul 2012
20:55:10 -0700 (PDT)

Jon:

I have just added my first Windows 7 computer, a Thinkpad, to
the stable, and Portable.PM worked like a dream.
Glad to hear it. It's good to have feedback from the real world.

I'm not a DosBox user, so I can't help you with the screen-size
issue. As for CLIP.EXE: this is a stab in the dark, but try lowering
the ChunkSz setting in XYWWWEB.REG; this controls the size of the
data pieces (chunks) processed by CLIP. To get to the setting,
command REGEDIT CHUNKSZ<Helpkey>. You should see a line like this:

ChunkSz=8192

Whatever the number is, reduce it. I would suggest decrements of 512
(of course, you must SAve XYWWWEB.REG each time) until CLIP works or
you get down to 1024. If CLIP still crashes at that value, then the
solution lies elsewhere.

Good luck.