Re: Portable.PM under Windows 7 [was DosBox and Window Size]

  • From: Carl Distefano <cld@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 15:43:08 -0400

Reply to note from Peter Goldberger <peter.goldberger@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sun, 15 Jul 2012 15:07:50 -0400

Peter:

> I, too, have just acquired a new ThinkPad T420i burdened with
> Windows 7 as its operating system.  If not in DosBox, Carl,
> then how would you recommend best running Xy4 and/or
> portable.PM on that machine?

You only need to run PORTABLE.PM once. Run it on your current
machine -- one with a working copy of Xy4 -- and use the generated
files as your STARTUP.INT and SETTINGS.DFL on all machines (after
you're satisfied that these files are working properly and have done
any desired tweaking/customizing).

As for Win7 (and I assume you're talking about the 64-bit version),
you're asking the wrong person as I'm still ensconced in the cozy,
retro world of WinXP, both at home and at work. But my understanding
is that you have two basic choices if you want to run DOS programs
under 64-bit WinXP: Microsoft's XP Mode <http://bit.ly/Win7XPmode>,
or a third-party emulator such as DosBox <http://www.dosbox.com/>.

I'm sure those with first-hand experience will weigh in on the
relative merits of these options.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxxxx