[x500standard] Re: User certificates

  • From: Bill Russell <brussell@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "David A. Cooper" <david.cooper@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 23:09:17 -0400

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the clarification on attribute certificates. In terms of which
applications can properly handle multiple certificates in the userCertificate
attribute, you are probably a better judge than I based on your lab exposure.
At State, there is only one certificate in the entry, which removes any
ambiguity. With Outlook, I thought it defaulted to the first userCertificate it
finds, unless there is a default S/MIME certificate attribute
(userSMimeCertificate) configured outside of the userCertificate attribute. Are
the directory entries containing multiple certificates from shared service
providers? Other then in our own lab set ups, I have not come across any live
directories with digital signature certs in the directory. At State the DS cert
is on the card but not the directory.

Take care,
Bill