[x500standard] Re: User certificates

  • From: Bill Russell <brussell@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Erik Andersen <era@xxxxxxx>, Directory list <x500standard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, PKIX <ietf-pkix@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 10:32:09 -0400

I believe the directory attribute userCertificate is a multivalue attribute. I
see no reason why it cannot be used to store an attribute certificate. However,
some applications may get confused. I think in practice, most apps assume only
one certificate in the userCertificate.

The term "user" has proved ambiguous; so, I'd agree that there would be some
value in defining it. However, I would not define it to exclude attribute
certificates.