[wkars-members] Re: Fox Hunt..?

  • From: G4NHP <steve@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wkars-members@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wkars-members@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 09:50:13 +0100

I was using an Icom R20 receiver which has a built in attenuator and RF gain
control.
I had pre programmed the memory with the fundamental freq plus the 2nd and 3rd
harmonics which would of been useful if I got close enough!!
I started of at Mt Ephraim armed with my home brew B&Q special antenna and
initially got a good signal which gave me a heading towards the railway station
area so walked over towards that direction. Further readings seemed to give
conflicting results, the signal strength did not appear to be consistent which
was probably down to the fox using a beam antenna, I think if I could make just
one comment, maybe it would be an advantage to the novice hounds involved (like
me) if the fox's antenna was a omnidirectional antenna until expertise is
gained.
I said just one comment but the 30 second TX's seem very short and it seems a
lifetime until the next 5 mins comes along but again I am sure as further
expertise is gained these trans times I'm sure will be adequate.
Although I did not manage to locate the fox I enjoyed taking part and look
forward to the next one.
I have to say the two pints of Stella afterwards helped me get my breath back!
Many thanks to Keith for organising the event.
73
Steve G4NHP

Sent from Steve Porter
Mobile 07836555321