Re: [quickphilosophy] Re: Fodor on Concepts IV: Circularity + Peacocke

  • From: wittrsl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: quickphilosophy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 17:11:18 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Larry:

Thanks & your point about compositionality is a good one.

Still, I'm wondering about how we know how LOT builds up the compositions. For
example, it seems natural to think that OR, AND, and NOT are LOT elements. But,
all of the logical operators can be build up out of NOR by itself or just NAND
by itself. So, does my embedded mentalese have a NOR or a NAND or something
else?

The carburetor example is pretty funny. It seems like Fodor just will not
retreat under any circumstances.

Thanks!
--Ron