Re: [quickphilosophy] Re: Fodor on Concepts IV: Circularity + Peacocke

  • From: wittrsl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: quickphilosophy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 10:05:40 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Walter:

Thanks & I can see that I wasn't very clear on my counterargument point (f).

What I think is going on is that in some way Peacocke is trying to show that an
experimental Subject has a concept CONJUNCTION (C). Now, Fodor does not
properly pursue Peacocke's proposed schema, but that is a side issue at this
step. So, since P is trying to show that S has C, F can't come back and say,
aha, S has C. That's what P claims.

So F has to say that (f.1) P has to assume that S has C in order to show S has
C, or that (f.2) P has to assume S has another equivalent C' (in another
language) which is the basis for S being compelled by the form of the schema. I
don't see where Fodor actually states (f.1), and I don't see where Peacocke
actually assumes that the subject has the concept of CONJUNCTION. What I see is
a time and space conjunction of the inferences that the subject has to make,
and this means that Peacocke has the concept of conjunction, but that's OK, and
it's not a circularity. What Peacocke wants to show is that the conjunction of
these inference problems compels the subject to assent to the conclusion in
each case. Then, Peacocke conjoins this result in his mind and asserts that the
conjunction of these behaviors on the part of the subject shows that the
subject possesses the concept CONJUNCTION. What Fodor seems to say is more
along the lines of (f.2)--that there
 is another concept C' at work.

Anyway, as I read further, it seems that the best argument Fodor has is to hack
away at the idea of primitive compulsion according to form. This could be
pretty hard for Peacocke to formulate in a positive way.

Also, it seems to me that the Noun Phrase conjunction that Fodor used against
Peacocke could actually be formulated in a way, like schema (I), that does not
use 'and'. In that case, Peacocke's style of inference schema holds for the
propositional conjunction case (I) and for the NP conjunction style of "John
swims and Mary swims", etc.

Thanks!
--Ron