Re: [quickphilosophy] Re: Fodor on Concepts II: First argument against BCP

  • From: wittrsl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: quickphilosophy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 09:15:39 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks, Walter.
Rereading it, though, I wonder if I wasn't a little too snippy. A couple more
observations upon the 1st anti-BCP argument.
It seems to me that Fodor is conflating two things that it might be useful to
distinguish: ideas and concepts. If I have the idea of a partridge, for
example, I should be able to sort partridges from sparrows and brussels sprouts
and canned tuna, but I might not be able to reliably utilize the idea in
inferences. Because I don't have a systematic account of what it takes to be a
partridge. OTOH, if I have developed a concept of partridge, then I can make
deductions of the sort that Jack's pet bird is bigger than Tommy's, because
Jack has a partridge, and Tommy owns a sparrow, and partridges are bigger than
sparrows.
Secondly, to demand that the idea or concept owner assent or dissent to all
consequent propositions requires far too much precise skill in terms of
employing the concept. Can I not have a concept of quartz, without knowing the
crystal structure of the component silicon and oxygen atoms? And a
sophisticated BCPer, like Wittgenstein, allows for fuzzy conceptualization in
any case.
I am amused by Fodor's quoting Galen Strawson at the top of the article. In the
20th century, Edwin Hubbell discovered how big the universe was and where our
shabby little planet was situated; Einstein discovered that matter and energy
were really two forms of one underlying substance, mass-energy; Russell and
Whitehead showed that all of mathematics was derivable from set theory; Gödel
showed that arithmetic was incomplete; Watson and Crick explained the molecular
basis for Darwin's macro-theory of evolution...and Galen Strawson put forward
panpsychism and attached the label of "silly" to the whole century.
One more notch of the pistol grip of philosophy.--Ron