[quickphilosophy] Re: My Book on Rhythm

  • From: wittrsl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: quickphilosophy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 23:15:38 -0000

--- In quickphilosophy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "gabuddabout" <gabuddabout@...> wrote:

> Hi Walter,
>
> I'm writing a book whose title I want to be something like:  Rhythm: Listen
> Do Write and Teach.  Or:  A Rhythm Listen:  Do, write, and Teach.  I don't
> think the following works at all:  A Spoonful of Counting Helps the Notation
> Go Down.
>
> I want to write a classic text focussing on rhythm only (players supply
> pitches, chords, timbre, and technique) that combines ear training with a
> metronome (just counting various groups (numbers) and subgroups (subdivisions
> of numbers with conventional phonemes), playing what one learned to count
> (whispered counting with accented whispers--goal being rhythmic feel without
> counting after one digests the atomic 2-feels (The "Fab Four" 2-feels), then
> being able to notate all the stuff one learned to play without reading
> beforehand.
>
> The idea is simply that notation requires a system of counting that can be
> carved off from notation such that one can teach just the counting with the
> result that one learns all that notation will offer anyway.
>
> Later, it will be shown that Western notation is so full of nuance that it is
> too cumbersome to get via just counting and inventing symbols for rests and
> accents and accelerando and dynamics without just going into the real
> notation.
>
> So it can be a book for absolute beginners to advanced musicians who would
> maybe be able to teach as a result of reading the book, if they aren't
> already able to teach as confidently as I think this book will allow.
>
> I will be noting things that may never have found a place in a book about
> rhythm, including the idea that given 12 pitches and two possible sounds,
> there are 144 possible atomic 2-feels.  Kinda makes music sound sexy, I
> know....
>
> Also, for percussionists playing drumset and using four limbs, there are the
> "Pristine Fifteen" possible limb combinations which exhaust all that such a
> one will ever do--excluding voicings, especially all the voicings a Terry
> Bozzio gets by having an entire chromatic scale of higher pitched drums on
> his left along with a diatonic scale of drum pitches on his right.  Not to
> mention all the foot pedals!  I'd like to have something like that--rather
> than a drum pad in my apartment resting on a stack table atop four Collier's
> Encyclopedias I can hit with my special slippers.  So I need cash.
>
> Now, knowing you like to tickle the ivories, I'm wondering if you'd like to
> help me make some money by being the guy who prints out the notation elements
> of the book.  What is probably going to go down is that I do this by myself
> or with the help of somebody closer to home.
>
> Finally, the book is not meant as a substitute for other method books.  It is
> meant as a no-nonsense guide to being able to play and notate all from simple
> ways to count while using a metronome in various ways.  So I'm hoping to have
> [...]

Wow, sounds like a cool project.  I'm not really a pianist--I just used to
improvise on synths some and write the occasional (usually somewhat aleatoric)
piece.  I think Larry T.  actually plays piano .  I don't know the Creston
book, and am rhythmically challenged myself. The only orchestration books I've
looked at are by Gardner and Piston, I think.  But, though I studied with Karel
Husa for awhile about 40 years ago, I never learned anything.

So, I'm afraid I can't be any help except to promise to buy a copy of your book
after you publish it.  And I'll certainly make that promise!