[quickphilosophy] Countdown

  • From: wittrsl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: wittrsl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 20:32:57 -0400

... from walto

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: walto <calhorn@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 1:59 PM
Subject: [quickphilosophy] Countdown
To: quickphilosophy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi, folks.

I called this group "quickphilosophy" because I wanted to read through
various papers or books fast (there are already several "slow reading"
groups at yahoo--FWIW, they're horrific). To have such a quickphilosophy
group, however, requires commitment from a number of people. I had grave
doubts whether I'd have critical mass here to actually get through anything
(my Trollope list, which reads through some fat AT novel every few months
has over 300 members, with maybe a couple dozen active ones, while there are
only 8 in total here). It's pretty clear at this point that my concern was
sensible. Please know that I'm not chastising anybody. No one should or was
expected to do this reading or contribute here unless it was fun for them. I
recognize that people are busy with many things, and maybe they're already
on too many similar lists already, they don't like the stuff that's been
suggested, or whatever. None of those are any sin.

Anyhow, I have the choice of getting more members, continuing this as some
sort of blog--where I pick the literature, do all the summarizing myself and
maybe one or two others occasionally comment, or just blowing it up. I
already have a (usually dormant) blog at myspace, so I don't see the point
of another one of those. So, if any of you can get a few other members (who
aren't crazy or wildly annoying) who have the time and interest to read and
summarize speedily, I'd consider keeping this group up, but otherwise, I'm
scheduling a (really cool!) demolition later this weekend.

With many thanks for helping me understand the Tractatus and this Fodor
paper better I remain,

Yers,

Walto

 __._,_.___
  Reply to sender <calhorn@xxxxxxx?subject=Countdown> | Reply to
group<quickphilosophy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=Countdown>| Reply
via web
post<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/quickphilosophy/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJwdms4bG9sBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzU5Mzg1ODQ2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTYzMjIxMwRtc2dJZAMzMDAEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDcnBseQRzdGltZQMxMjg3MjUxOTYx?act=reply&messageNum=300>|
Start
a New
Topic<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/quickphilosophy/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJmbGljY2FiBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzU5Mzg1ODQ2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTYzMjIxMwRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNudHBjBHN0aW1lAzEyODcyNTE5NjE->
Messages in this
topic<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/quickphilosophy/message/300;_ylc=X3oDMTMzYnJ1czFhBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzU5Mzg1ODQ2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTYzMjIxMwRtc2dJZAMzMDAEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDdnRwYwRzdGltZQMxMjg3MjUxOTYxBHRwY0lkAzMwMA-->(
1)
 Recent Activity:

 Visit Your
Group<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/quickphilosophy;_ylc=X3oDMTJmNzA2azhqBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzU5Mzg1ODQ2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTYzMjIxMwRzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2Z2hwBHN0aW1lAzEyODcyNTE5NjE->