[Wittrs] Re: The CRA: Is the Third Premise True?

  • From: Gordon Swobe <gts_2000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 06:44:14 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Wed, 4/7/10, SWM <wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> if Searle's argument is so simple, as Gordon puts it, that even
> a kindergartner would understand it (and, presumably, thereby agree),
> how is it that all these heavily credentialed non-kindergartners
> criticize it and, according to Searle, don't understand it?

As Budd tried to point out, I referred to the subject in the title of thread:
the third axiom in Searle's formal argument.

And yes I maintain that even a kindergartner could understand the third axiom,
even if various philosophers might have a problem with the entire argument. In
fact every *serious* reply to the CRA starts with the recognition that, at the
very least, Searle got it right that syntax doesn't give semantics.

Perhaps some sub-axioms of A3 will help:

A3a = nobody and nothing can know the meaning of a symbol from knowing only its
form.

A3b = nobody and nothing can know the meanings of symbols from performing
operations on them based only on their forms.

A3 = form is thus neither constitutive of nor sufficient for meaning, i.e.,
syntax is neither constitutive of nor sufficient for semantics.

It's just a simple fact of life.

-gts