[Wittrs] Logicomix (a graphic novel with Wittgenstein in the cast)

  • From: kirby urner <kirby.urner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 09:25:09 -0700

I wanted to alert list readers to a graphic novel
entitled Logicomix, an Epic Search for Truth.
Here's a picture of the cover:

http://coffeeshopsnet.blogspot.com/2010/05/buzz-about-shops.html

Some of the art within:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/17157315@N00/4608127370/

The plot line is on two levels, akin to 'Titanic' (the movie) in
that there's a contemporary cast, the people actually doing
the comic, and the 1900s cast.  Bertrand Russell frames
the latter by telling his life story in a lecture hall, with the
audience mostly wanting to hear his views on whether the
USA should enter WW2 against Germany.  Most of those
present are vocally against this idea and know Russell is
a pacifist, so want to hear him take their side.

However, in the contemporary cast is a computer scientist
who is keen to keep the logic and mathematics front and
center.  He debates with the other authors regarding focus
and themes.

Wittgenstein is prominent in these pages, although the
storyline only takes us through Logico-Tractatus and Vienna
Circle.  Philosophical Investigations is not mentioned.

This is a fictional work and does not follow the literal facts
of what happened.  There's a movie-like dimension, which
isn't to say a graphic novel is just a storyboard for a film
(my friend who gave me this to read talked at length about
how upset the 'Watchmen' and 'V for Vendetta' guy was
with any movie adaptation of his work).

Wittgenstein pops his head into Russell's office and
proceeds to be intense and passionate, sometimes
challenging Russell's patience while also digging under
the foundations of his ideas.  LW then goes to the front
lines (existentially as well as literally), then later sends
the manuscript for the TLP.  The school teacher scene
shows him being a badass with the kids i.e. physically
abusive.  In contrast, Russell and his new wife are trying
out their liberal ideas about schooling.  Russell judges
their experiment a failure.

A core theme of the work is the relationship between
logic and madness or rationality and irrationality.  Russell's
quest for certainty is set against the backdrop of a lonely
childhood wherein truths are deliberately kept from him.

This core theme traces back to Greek philosophy,
including some of the great tragedies.  A contemporary
cast member is involved with the staging of these plays,
Orestes in particular.  How to reconcile these countervailing
aspects of the human psyche?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17157315@N00/4608126464/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Those intimately familiar with the more factual biographies
of the 1900s cast may feel too many liberties are taken w/r
to what actually transpired.

The authors are mostly wanting to get across some
ideas and see the historical narrative as somewhat
secondary.

In interludes wherein the contemporary cast has discussions,
we learn more about their focus and commitment to getting
the ideas to come through accurately, with changes to
facts a tool for doing that.

An addendum explains this again, with a quote from
El Greco.

I no longer have said tome in front of me, having lent it
to someone else.  It came from our local library.

I cite this work at Math Forum, where I post a lot of my
thinking.

http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=7067602&tstart=0
(author names and publisher given).

Kirby