[Wittrs] Re: Let's Try Something a Little More Formal

  • From: "gabuddabout" <gabuddabout@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 22:52:46 -0000

Stuart, for the umpteenth time, writes:

"As I noted above, one can use "constitute" to make a causal claim in certain
cases, too, as Searle does."

Not buying this, Stuart.  When he says that syntax doesn not constitute
semantics, he is saying they are not identical.

Stuart continues:

"However, the claim of the CRA depends on the idea that "constituting"
consciousness in the CR means having some feature or property we recognize as
understanding. BUT IF CONSCIOUSNESS (UNDERSTANDING) IS SEEN TO BE A SYSTEM
PROPERTY THEN THE ONLY THING THE CR SHOWS IS THAT THAT PARTICULAR SYSTEM
CONFIGURATION DOESN'T DO IT. It says NOTHING about what the constituent
elements of the system can do in other configurations."

Notice that you're not keen on understanding Searle's point that the system in
question in the CR is S/H.  You tirelessly write as if Searle is arguing about
a nonS/H system.  IOW:

1. You conflate the CR with a nonS/H system (are the "configurations" 1st order
properties without being defined computationally or not?  Is it a _combination_
of properties being "configured" in an S/H system or nonS/H system?..).

2.  Point out that Searle is arguing against something we might as well for all
we know consider to be nonS/H (by 1).

3. Point out that Searle is arguing against nonS/H (by 1).

Then conclude that Searle must be a dualist (by 1, 2, and 3).

But the achievement is done by equivocation.  Searle simply is not as sloppy as
you would like him to be.  You simply happen to be as sloppy as is required for
your conclusion.

Sloppy is as sloppy does, yada, yada.  And in the name of being clear and
distinct you blatant liar--or maybe you really think that computational
properties are physical properties.  All configurations are 1st order
properties and now both strong and weak AI are not to be distinguished from
brains.

I don't think Dennett would make this mistake, though.

With friends like Stuart....

Hey, all in good philosophical fun, Stuart.

After all my accusations, I wouldn't mind having a friend who was willing to be
so bad at philosophy.  And as with friends, "Just shut up" is not unheard of!

Cheers,
Budd