[Wittrs] Re: Is the brain a hammer?

  • From: Rajasekhar Goteti <rgoteti@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 May 2010 09:37:33 +0530 (IST)

Knowledge is an impediment to experiencingPosted:It is odd what importance we
give to the printed word, to so-called sacred books. The scholars, as the
laymen, are gramophones; they go on repeating, however often the records may be
changed. They are concerned with knowledge, and not with experiencing.
Knowledge is an impediment to experiencing. But knowledge is a safe haven, the
preserve of a few; and as the ignorant are impressed by knowledge, the knower
is respected and honoured. Knowledge is an addiction, as drink; knowledge does
not bring understanding. Knowledge can be taught, but not wisdom; there must be
freedom from knowledge for the coming of wisdom. Knowledge is not the coin for
the purchase of wisdom; but the man who has entered the refuge of knowledge
does not venture out, for the word feeds his thought and he is gratified with
thinking. Thinking is an impediment to experiencing; and there is no wisdom
without experiencing. Knowledge, idea,
 belief, stand in the way of wisdom. An occupied mind is not free, spontaneous,
and only in spontaneity can there be discovery. An occupied mind is
self-enclosing; it is unapproachable, not vulnerable, and therein lies its
security. Thought, by its very structure, is self-isolating; it cannot be made
vulnerable. Thought cannot be spontaneous, it can never be free. Thought is the
continuation of the past, and that which continues cannot be free. There is
freedom only in ending. An occupied mind creates what it is working on. It can
turn out the bullock cart or the jet plane. We can think we are stupid, and we
are stupid. We can think we are God, and we are our own conception: "I am
That." "But surely it is better to be occupied with the things of God than with
the things of the world, is it not?" What we think, we are; but it is the
understanding of the process of thought that is important. - Commentaries on
Living Series I
sekhar