[Wittrs] Good questions

  • From: "jrstern" <jrstern@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 02:19:53 -0000

> suppose scientists come up with a complete description of how the
> brain produces consciousness; and, that everyone is satisfied that
> this description is a causal explanation.
>
> do we *know* that this causal explanation will count as a causal
> reduction; and, if so, how?

well, these are good questions.

how do you know the sun will rise in the east tomorrow?

how do you know the sun rose in the east this morning?

what do you know about the substance "gold"?

what do you know about the word "gold"?

what do you know about the property "beauty"?

It is good to understand the answer to these questions before trying to resolve
them in the context of something more complex, like cognition.

Josh